Saturday, September 24, 2011

Visiting Arts on Main & Rosebank Sunday rooftop market

Last Sunday, I met up with a Bainie, Alison, who was my bestest Bainie friend Nicole's roommate while she was here on transfer last year. Alison suggested that we head to Arts on Main on Sunday to check out their sunday market.  I thought it was extremely appropriate since that was one of the "must-see" places on the list that Nicole gave me.

Situated in the eastern part of the CBD, Arts on Main is the result of the gentrification effort that the government is inputting into the city.  (It is actually part of the mobonneng precinct!). As a result, it would've been a bit more dangerous (since we would have to drive through the CBD to get there) if Alison hasn't discovered a way around it to avoid the drive through.

As the name of the venue suggsted, Arts on Main has a bunch of art gallery in it, as well on Sundays there is a market.



Upon entering, there's a big courtyard - Arts on Main is normally opened during the week too

Inside one of the building where the market is

stores selling food lined the sides

Asian food? I think they had spring rolls

This stall was selling wooden creations. Those hearts are cute

Meringue.. but looked like too big of a commitment for me at that time

I decided to eat a roti, this one is with chicken

It was delicious!!! I love the herbs that went into it.  The only complaint is that the roti wrap was too thin and falling apart a bit..

We went up the stairs to the second floor and you can look at ppl at the rooftop patio 

Giant shoes made of zimbabwean money printed fabric inside one of the galleries

The second floor had more of the clothing and other non-food exhibitions


Jewelery

I was shot in Johannesburg (I actually read I was HOT in johannesburg, and then couldn't figure out why there were 2 "s's") oh silly me...

Cute! Again, things that I couldn't bring home

She makes Ethiopian coffee then and there.  It's supposed to be very delicious and Rich and only R10.  But since I'm not a coffee drinker, I had to miss out on this recommendation.

She uses this pot and the stove below to roast the coffee beans in front of you

Then it's served in those cute little cups

There was a live band inside the market, what a great vibe!

Grenadilla Popsicle. It was DELICIOUS! Thanks Alison! :D

We walked a few blocks down and this is a theatre that plays different types of movies. 

This was at the Arts hotel.  They had shoes decorating their courtyard

with plants growing out of them

and up the walls

Arts on the wall leading to the rooftop bar

The rooftop bar with a view of the surrounding.  

Cute - VROOOM

There are not a lot of tall buildings (Except for the CBD) so you can see quite a bit!

Giant Needle and yarn ball decoration on the roof



The grounds are quite pretty too
Alison had to dash out after our excursion at Arts on Main to get ready for her trip back to the US.  Since it was only about 3pm.  I decided I could probably still drive out to the Mall at Rosebank and check out their  Sunday rooftop Market  .  (3.5 Months is and is not a long time, so I'm really trying to hit up as many places in town as I can if I were to be in town for a weekend, to make sure I leave enough free weekends for all my weekend trip endeavours.)

So after looking up the directions to Rosebank AND inputting it into my GPS, I still managed to get lost (took a turn too early and went on the highway in the opposite direction.. oops).  Anyways, I was very lucky to not have come out of an exit into the sketchy part of town (there's an area called Hillbrow which is where the slum is and very dangerous quite close to us).

After some rerouting and defensive driving (I was trying to make a right turn, but there was a pedestrian crossing, so I waited... but the car behind me decided that he didn't need to wait - pulled ahead of me and honked at the pedestrian and sped through.... yep welcome to joburg), I finally made it to the Mall at Rosebank.

The Mall at Rosebank looked quite nice and it had a movie theatre inside of it.  My focus was on the rooftop market (since it does close at 5pm, and because of my detours, it was around 4.  So I navigated through the mall and finally found the market where the mall opens up into the parking lot.


Looking into the market area

This area was the craft market, I think

And the arts that the artists were trying to sell..  

Some of it were gorgeous.. but since I'm going to be a nomad for the next little while, buying art is too much of a luxury that I can't afford

This was 3D, (couldn't take a closer picture because I was worried that they would get mad at me)




South Africa animal aprons

Reindeers that light up!

Africa people? This set up reminded me of the "floor markets" near temple street in HK

He was trying to sell drums to a couple of people and they were demonstrating.  I wish I could learn and bring one home.. but again.. can't

Lots of wooden craft


Love this shirt! but it was a bit on the pricey side - so funny! (again  took this picture discretely so please forgive the blurriness)

Bead work is very popular. everyone was selling them.. Those are all beads and wires sheeps

I think these are for horseback riding?

By the time I finished walking through the craft section and went into the antique market on the other side, a lot of the stalls have already closed.  The stall owners were packing away their goodies so that they can come back next week for more sales.  The antique market was just like other markets.  There were antique jewelery (gem stones that were tres expensive), Old South African currency, other random antiquey things.

When I got home, I decided to take a picture of all the goodies that I have acquired today:



From Arts on Main - 2 cordials - Raspberry and Mint, Fine ethiopian raw coco, Organic Beet root hummus (delicious!) and croutons


These beaded keychains were acquired (Beading is a very popular craft here) - please sign up for which one you want - from left to right flat giraffe, lion, zebra, elephant, rhino, elephant 2, 3D giraffe, Ostrich!

A jewelery pouch (such a good idea - see next picture) and a hair accessories thing - the fact that they kept helping me put it in my hair and also told me they made it were the main factors that I bought it.

There are individual pockets - t's for your jewelery.. these key chains were too big to make the point.  It was a very clever idea.
To wrap up such a productive day (spending day), I went out to dinner with the new VolCon from London that has arrived that day.  (Stay tuned for details in the next post - random food of the week!)

Asian counter update: 18  ( 4 more today at Arts on main! and 2 at the Rosebank market)

No comments: