Sunday, September 11, 2011

South African grocery shopping experience

Today was a sunday and I didn't have much planned.  Hence i decided to sleep in a bit and then head to the shopping mall to pick up some essentials (soap, hand soap, toilet paper, a better universal adapter so that it won't spark anymore and groceries).

There is a mall called campus square mall that is a short 3 minutes ride from where I live, so I decided to hit it up with my shopping list.  The mall itself looks like ones in North America except that the store hours of each individual store varies.  Because today was a Sunday, some shops weren't even opened at all.  I did a quick scan of what stores are available/open first and then decided I will start by shopping for some soap and personal items at clicks (it's like a pharmacy - shoppers drug mart type).  I was also very lucky to have found the travel adapter that i needed there.

Then I decided to take a look at woolworths.  At first I thought it was a department store because I saw bath supplies and clothes in it.  Then I realized it also has a very nice grocery area.  (I found out later that it is a high end supermarket - which was not a suprise because the ambience suggested it).  In the interest of being responsible and conscious of my per diem, I went to pick n pay first to do essential grocery shopping.

Here are some interesting findings of a South African grocery store (pick and pay as reference):

1. Pick n pay has a very limited selection of fresh vegetables.. they just don't look that fresh...
2. When you put fruits and vegetables into bags, you have to get it weighed at the weigh station by a store worker before you can go to the cash (or the till).
3. The milk selection is mainly full cream, but there is a small selection of low fat options
4. There is A LOT of selection for eggs.  For example there is "free-range", "grain-fed", "all-grains", "canola" and maybe even more.  There is also a huge variety of price ranges.  But I can't quite figure out what it means.. and what the ones I am used to in Canada are (I mean in Canada, there's medium, large, and extra large eggs, and white versus non-white ones.. and thats it!) ...  So I was too confused and decided not to get any at all until I do some research =P
5.  There was lee kum kay sauces for sale at pick n pay but the only one that's available is "sweet and chili".

After my grocery shopping experience, I got quite frustrated at the pay station for parking.  Even though the pay station says it accepts all coins and R10, R20 and R50 bills (notes).  It refused to take my R10 bill.  The cashiers here are also not very helpful with just providing change (you have to make a purchase).  I was quite stuck until a very kind couple decided to help me out with some of their coins.  I offered to give him my R10 bill in return but he wont' take it.  I guess there is also acts of kindness in this country.
The powerbars here include ones that are 3 prongs (RSA) and the 2 prongs (European) but the europeans indent and my universal adapter does not have a firm contact with it, hence it sparks.. i was very worried it'd burn these flimsy walls down..

Look at the weird 3 prongs...

Giant doggie I found at campus square mall..i thought it was a statue until it moved and looked at me ;)

My rental car - a bright red VW Vivo

This ice tea with plum and apricot.. was okay.. I don't think i'll buy it again

my stocked fridge and cabinet! woot!

Saw this lady buy this yogurt in Woolworths and decided to try one. It's quite nice, but it's a bit pricey, about R7 for one - which is about $1 a cup.... I was used to Astros for $2.99 for 12 when it's on sale (and well $5.99 when not on sale).  Maybe it's okay to splurge sometime when i need a yogurt fix. (There is no fruit bottom yogurts here though, only stirred, boo)

After shopping, I met up with Sarah L. and she took me to 4th Avenue Parkhurst for coffee.  We sat in a cute little restaurant called the Attic.  We each had a tea, hers earl grey and mine a raspberry and melon tea.  We then ordered a peking duck spring roll and a cheeseboard to pick on.  It was a very nice and relaxing afternoon. (I later discovered that this was on the recommended restaurant list compiled by Bainies in the Joburg office).
My raspberry and melon tea

Peking duck spring rolls. I really enjoyed the sauce.

beautifully decorated

and looks out to 4th avenue, Parkhurst

Our cheese board with some type of hard gouda/cheddar, a blue cheese and a brie (i think)


I then went home and decided it was time to cook the food that I filled my fridge up with.  Then i discovered I only have pots and no pans and the gas ranges need matches to light up.  I managed in the end and made rice in a pot, onions, beef and portobello mushrooms, and a tomato, potato and leek soup.  It was very satisfying =)

Gas stove that required matches to ignite (I just threw the match in to avoid burning myself... and i picked up the match after, no one needs to know how it was done.)

Dinner! portabello mushroom, onions and beef with bonnet thai jasmine rice (recommended by Kanya - yes I consulted the expert before purchasing)

my soup - tomato, potato, beef and leeks



I also managed to readjust my freezer and refrigerator settings.  The fridge is digital and has a range of temperature that I can select including a vacation mode.  Google research tells me that your fridge should be set between35 and 38 degrees F (1.7 to 3.3 degrees C).  As well your freezer should be set at 0°F (-17°C) or lower, but definitely not above 5°F (-15°C)

Tomorrow, I must talk to the landlord about my flooding bathroom.  As previously mentioned, there is no real separations between the shower and the rest of the bathroom except for a curtain.  This is not a big deal if it drains properly.  The problem is it does not...Having pools of water in the bathroom is extremely dangerous and I had slipped a couple of times already when I wasn't focusing on the wet floor.  Hopefully there will be a solution.

On a side note, Sarah also told me that when she skypes the transmission on the other end seems to be much smoother than the the transmission out of South Africa.    Perhaps there's no real solution to this.. guess for those of you who I will call, you'll just have to deal with it =P

No comments: