Wednesday, September 7, 2011

1st African adventure post!

Due to popular demand, I've decided to start writing blog posts again to share my African adventures.  There is no promises on how long this will last - as the history of this blog might suggest how quickly it dies after each revival.

So to back up a little, for those of you who weren't aware of, I have moved to Johannesburg, South Africa to volunteer with an organization called TechnoServe.  I will be here for 3.5 months and hopefully will document the new things that I see, new experiences that I encounter here to share with you (and as memory storage for myself in the future).

The travel from Toronto, Canada to Johannesburg, South Africa is actually quite brutal.  I think you have the options to fly through the states, Munich, Amsterdam and London.  Because I wanted to avoid the States and wanted very specific dates and airlines, I ended up flying through London Heathrow.  What this means though is that after a 7 hour flight from YYZ to LHR, I then have a 7 hour layover before my 11-hour flight from LHR to JNB. In total, that's about 25 hours of travel not including delays (and yes, I had an hour delay on each of my flights =\)

Both flights were actually night flights (red-eyes) now that I think about it.  The delay in Toronto was caused by some airflow problem and our departure time got pushed back until 12:30am from 11:20pm.  I decided to watch the King's speech rather than sleeping (which in hind sight, might not have been a good decision).  I almost started watching Eat, pray, love but gave in the the built up exhaustion from all the packing last week.

Upon arrival at Heathrow T3, I actually had to go through security check to go back into T3 to the No.1 Traveller's lounge.  (Yes, I decided to splurge and spend 25 pounds on a 3 hour access to this lounge).  The lounge was newly furnished (may of this year) and it was very modern and pretty (pictures to come).  The complimentary food area included pastries with proscuitto, quinoa and garden salad, shortbreads, brownies and flapjack (3 types of juice and tea and coffee too!).  I made sure I had my money's worth (highlight was the garden salad because it had a bitter in it that I liked and also the shortbread).

I then relaxed and spreaded out on a couch in the quieter area and chatted with people on line using the complimentary wi-fi (which actually cost about 10 pounds outside the lounge).  The 3 hour access of a 6 hour layover was actually just perfect (it went from 7 to 6 with my 1 hour of delay).  I then took the shuttle to T1 (which takes about 10 mins) and it took forever to walk to my gate (which they don't announce until an hour before boarding, so you couldn't even go ahead of time).

Here are some pictures of Heathrow and the Lounge
My meal looking out Heathrow airport

Beautiful lounge @ NO. 1 travellers

Where I hung out.. and almost lost my camera

didn't have a chance to go on the egg shaped chair

This was the family room with a wii in it

And no, they won't tell you what your gate is until boarding time...it's a bit annoying 


The flight from London to Joburg was also delayed by an hour.  The SAA (South African Airways) set up is very different than AC. I lucked out and had 2 seats to myself because the plane was not full (at which point I wished I was in the middle 4 seater by myself so I can lie down).  They provided a pair of airplane socks, toothbrush, toothpaste and an eye shade.  The plane ride was somewhat uneventful but as expected there was  a bit more turbulence around the equator.

SAA's kit that they give you
pouch, socks, toothbrush/paste, eyeshades

Looking out to South Africa!


Upon arrival in Joburg, the custom lines were just as long as all other passport control line up.  I was super relieved to see my luggages make it.  Then something unfortunate happened, I accidentally walked my cart into an older lady who turned around and was extremely pissed off.. Ya.. I apologized a couple of times and I think she was still mad .. and then started calling me stupid.. oh well..

My driver's name was Abraham and he was very nice.  He told me his name is Abraham Lincoln and that he was featured in the Ottawa citizen for the Soweto tours that he does.  He taught me the african handshake and also how to say hello, how are you and fine in Africaan (? - I can't remember now).  I was dropped off at my accommodation which is a very cute hotel/lodge in Melville.    The only downside was I had to pay for my own internet and it's hotel prices.  Hopefully it'll be more affordable when I move to a house.

Here are some shots of my accommodation:
Beautiful canopy bed

such a fabulous room

A huge bathroom!


I settled in and decided to venture out to grab food for lunch (the lodge owner convinced me that it was safe around the area, and it was only a short block away - 2 mins).  I found a bar called melon with excellent decor and got  a take out chicken burger for lunch. It was R55 (~8 - 9 CAD?) but it was delicious. http://www.melon-restaurant.co.za/

Then exhaustion and food coma took over and I took a nap.  By the time I woke up from my nap (at around 6ish), the night has fallen.. I decided not to risk it and ordered delivery (additional charge of $R15 ~$3CAD).  The seafood udon noodle soup was not of Toronto quality but better than I expected.

Here is lunch then dinner
Gourmet Chicken burger with avocado and tomato and salad on the side.. NOT sure why I didn't get the top bun.. maybe that's the SA way

It has a happy face on top!

My delivery seafood udon soup.. not terrible... but not super tasty either


Tomorrow is my first day at work.  The driver will come and pick me up in the morning as I don't get my rental car until Friday.

I think it's time to go to bed to make sure I wake up for work tomorrow, aiming to be in by 8am (breakfast at 7:30am).

Good night!

No comments: