Thursday, July 24, 2008

rainy day and cable skiing

Today was a rainy day in Phuket, but that didn't change our desire to participate in extreme sports!

Min and I got a taxi driver and went Cable skiing for the first time.  I think she's done it before, but it was definitely my first time... Needless to say, I was not good at it.. (in fact, we got an amazing video of me going head first into it).  So to back up a bit, let's describe cable skiing.  Cable skiing is a type of water sport like wake boarding except you're pulled around by a cable and there's no wakes.

The place that we went to was in a little still lake (with very very dark water...=\) Once you're geared up, you sit at the edge of this dock and get hooked up to the cable.  The cable goes around the lake in a circle and you'll be given the signal to get ready once the cable pull comes near, then off you go!  The take off is usually very jerky and you have to have very good lower body strength (something that I don't have) to get into position to "ski"...

Min did a lot better than I did, and after around 10 tries, I decided I just didn't have that talent...  I then sat around and had this amazing exotic fruit called long kong.  It's like a cross between longan and lychee and looks also somewhat like a mangosteen.

Because of the crappy weather, we decided to take it easy for the rest of the day and hung out at the hotel (Min did ALMOST take us to go ATV-ing...)

No comments: