Sunday, February 21, 2010

Vancouver and the Olympic hype

So I did make it out to the Vancouver Olympics from Tuesday Feb 16th to Monday Feb 22nd.  Not only was I there to experience the Olympics, I was also there to visit my long time childhood best friend Elena!

Elena was gracious enough to let me stay with her.  She took care of me well: from picking me up from the airport line at the station closest to her house (super convenient train system built for the olympics), to getting the most delicious bubble tea at (dragon bbt place), to staying up at night and catching out on the many years that we have missed in each other's lives.. She also took me to try some of the most delicious japanese cuisine in Vancouver including a ramen place, guu with garlic, and a few other sushi place..

Vancouver is a very different place than what I remembered.  (The locals say that it's the Olympic hype)  Hence the streets were always filled with people (robson street especially).  I took Elena to a few of the curling games that I bought tickets for and explained the game to her.  I also managed to meet up with Phil for an impromptu game.  I also managed to meet up with Steph and took her out to one of the games too.

It was quite fun hanging out with Elena and playing catch up. I'm super glad that our friendship has prevailed! Sometimes it just works that way, and it takes a certain type of persons to keep friendship going in that way (friends who can stay friends even if they don't interact a lot).  Our friendship seems like it just picked up where it's left off.  Hopefully now with technology we can keep in touch better and be informed with things that are going on in each other's lives =)

No comments: